The notary public working in a local register office handles the notarisation of, amongst other things, signatures, copies of certificates and the authentication of curriculum vitae. In addition, he or she handles, amongst other things, protests of bills of exchange, the opening and closing of safe-deposit boxes as well as the monitoring of lotteries.
Duties of notary public
Notarisation of authenticity of a signature
In the notarisation of the authenticity of a signature, the signature in question must be witnessed by a notary public. You must have proper identification with you. In addition, an invitation extended to a citizen of a country of which an officially notarised invitation to Finland is required in order to travel here also must be signed in the presence of a notary public.
Notarisation of the authenticity of copies
A notary public can also notarise the authenticity of copies of documents. You must bring the original document with you to the local register office. You can also bring the copy to be officially notarised with you, although practically speaking it is much better to have the copy made at the local register office, as doing so enables the avoidance of time-consuming and laborious comparison.
- To purvey protestations to draft bills and cheque laws ipso jure, to provide accounts of proposals or certificates of independent financial standing based on known factors.
- To take on and record the explanations of juridical and financial relations and to provide third parties with copies of the minutes, unless the general regulations regarding the publication of documents dictate otherwise.
- To certify that an official or individual has the right to carry out a given official act, that someone is in a given official position, or that someone has a given official competence or is legally competent to represent someone else.
- To act as a witness present at the opening or closing of a depository and at the placement or removal of a seal.
- To oversee lotteries, carry out the drawing of bonds, stocks or other securities, and, when the situation permits, carry out other such tasks